As part of the renovation of the Allerton Building, the Art Institute of Chicago commissioned lighting designs for Fullerton Hall and the Prints and Drawings Study Room. The hall's main feature is a leaded stained glass dome that was originally installed by Louis Comfort Tiffany Studios in 1898.
The dome exhibits a variation of glorious, warm colors that are cleverly lit by Schuler Shook's design. Its dense and colorful characteristics provide the elegant room with an enchanting visual element, but posed a challenge for designers in delivering the adequate illumination levels for the auditorium. Additional sconces were provided to supplement the light emitted by the dome's stained glass.