Detroit Symphony Orchestra Hall was originally constructed in 1918 in a record 4 months and 4 days. Saved from the wrecking ball by a renovation in the 70's, the DSO moved back downtown to Orchestra Hall in 1988. This most recent project commenced in 1997 and included completing the restoration of Orchestra hall and constructing 135,000 square feet of new space.
Schuler Shook provided full service theatre consulting. We provided programming, space planning guidance and equipment design services for the refurbishment, re-seating and equipping of the 2,064-seat Orchestra Hall, the Music Box – a variable-form second hall that seats up to 450 – the Jacob Bernard Pincus Music Education Center and the Robert A. and Maggie Allesee Rehearsal Hall. We also worked closely with the architect to provide much-needed public, backstage and administrative spaces.
Orchestra Hall now includes a refurbished orchestra shell and motorized rigging, a new forestage lift, a proscenium super-grid and new lighting system and mounting positions – all designed and specified by Schuler Shook. The Music Box includes a flexible lighting system for its multiple forms and uses, as well as extensive automated acoustical adjustment systems.