The Kessler

The Kessler Theatre opened as an Oak Cliff movie house in the early days of World War II. Once owned by Gene Autry the Singing Cowboy, it was crushed by a tornado in 1957, rebuilt as a revival church and gutted by fire five years later.

The restoration process included transforming the burnt-out shell into a mixed-use venue that includes a performance space, dance studio, art gallery and more. Schuler Shook provided the theatre planning services and design of the stage lighting systems.

According to The Dallas Observer, it is “easily the best listening room in town.” The Kessler Theatre also was awarded the 2010 Ruth Chenowith OOCCL Conservation Achievement Award by the Old Oak Cliff Conservation League.


Oak Cliff, TX


Richard Davis Architects


  • Ruth Chenowith OOCCL Conservation Achievement Award, 2010

Related Theatre Planning Projects