The First Presbyterian Church

The First Presbyterian Church was founded in 1868. After suffering two fires, the current church, designed by Chicago architect Daniel Burnham - constructed from limestone - was completed in 1895. In 2001, Schuler Shook successfully completed the lighting renovation for the Sanctuary as part of the architectural renovation led by Goss Pasma Architects.

“After more than two years since completion, the Sanctuary still receives rave reviews from everyone who visits. The flexibility of the enlarged chancel has been utilized in so many additional ways beyond the basic arrangements originally contemplated, yet the basic illumination settings have provided more than enough light in every situation. When necessary, the lighting has been modified utilizing the simple architectural touch screen at our balcony control center. And to our surprise and delight, we have only now changed the original bulbs in all the new and remodeled fixtures, thanks to the extensive dimming systems. The lighting of the stained glass windows from inside has provided a beautiful glow to the illuminated exterior of the building, while serving as a very effective ‘night light’ when the sanctuary is otherwise dark inside. Bravo to Schuler & Shook for our outstanding lighting results!” Neil Anderson, project representative for First Presbyterian Church


Evanston, IL


Goss Pasma Architects


  • IALD Award of Merit, 2003
  • IES Illumination Design Award of Merit, 2003

Related Lighting Design Projects