Art Institute of Chicago – Allerton Building
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As part of the renovation of the Allerton Building, the Art Institute of Chicago required lighting designs for Fullerton Hall and the Prints and Drawings Study Room. The hall's main feature is a leaded stained glass dome that was originally installed by Louis Comfort Tiffany Studios in 1898. The dome exhibits a variation of glorious, warm colors that are cleverly lit by Schuler Shook's design. Its dense and colorful characteristics provide the elegant room with an enchanting visual element, but posed a challenge for designers in delivering the adequate illumination levels for the auditorium. Additional sconces were provided to supplement the light emitted by the dome's stained glass. Other areas included in the lighting design are the pre-function corridor - which was solely lit by incandescent linear strips concealed within a cove - and the stage lighting, which was tactfully designed with theatrical fixtures well integrated into the space, maintaining the architectural integrity.
In the Prints and Drawings Study Room, our lighting team helped introduce daylight control to the space and developed a lighting design that was sensitive to preservation concerns for these vulnerable materials.
Weese Langley Weese